ANNUAL SUMMARY: DEFI HIGHLIGHTS
- THREE REMARKABLE RECORDS (according to Coingecko statistics)
- HUGE CYBER ATTACKS
- THE RISE OF ALTCHAINS
2021 had witnessed an impressive growth in the value of BTC and altcoins, and the total capitalization of Crypto market once reached an ATH threshold of $2,500 billion in November.
THREE REMARKABLE RECORDS (according to Coingecko statistics)
- Total DeFi market capitalization has increased by 7.5 times, from $20 billion to $150 billion (ATH: $174 billion in November 2021).
- DeFi's market share has doubled from 2.8% to an ATH of 6.5%.
- Total Value Locked (TVL) in Defi has increased by 13 times, from 18.7 billion USD in January to nearly 250 billion USD in December.
- The emergence of new EVMs (Ethereum Virtual Machines) - such as Cronos (CRO), Aurora (AURORA), and Boba (BOBA) - has rapidly increased demand for DeFi tokens on these Blockchains.
HUGE CYBER ATTACKS
2021 was also a tumultuous year for the DeFi market, with a total loss of approximately 14 billion USD to cyber attacks targeting security holes of DeFi projects.
- The biggest attack occurred in August 2021 on Poly Network, causing up to 611 million USD in total damage. This is also regarded as the largest DeFi hack ever in cryptocurrency history.
- The platform based on Ethereum Blockchain - Compound ($COMP) - was also a victim of these hackers with 147 million USD worth of token $Comp stolen before the error in the reward contract was discovered.
- Polygon also lost $1.6 million as a result of a technical bug discovered in the Genesis Proof-of-Stake (PoS) contract, which used to put $9 billion in $MATIC at risk.
- Other platforms have faced consecutive attacks in 2021 includes: Cream Finance ($CREAM) with 3 attacks & THORChain ($RUNE) with 2 attacks being exploited via security loopholes.
THE RISE OF ALTCHAINS
- In 2021, users flocked to alternative Blockchains because of the outstanding advantages they offer, such as low transaction fees & fast transaction processing speed which can reach thousands of TPS.
- Incredible growth rate: 10,000% in just 1 year of 4 following coins: Fantom ($FTM), Terra ($LUNA), Solana ($SOL), and Polygon ($MATIC). Fantom marked the highest YTD level among all, with a total of 14,279%.
Published on January 19, 2022
What is Multi-chain? Trend of Multi-chain and Cross-chain
What is Multi-chain? What is the relationship between Multi-chain and Cross-chain projects? This article of BHO Network will answer this question for you!
September 02, 2021
What is ICO, IEO, IDO? How are these 3 different?
What is ICO, IEO, IDO? Let's learn the familiar terms in this crypto world with BHO Network.
September 05, 2021
BHO MAINNET FUNCTIONS SERIES: MNEMONIC PHRASES
What you need to know about the 12-word mnemonic phrase
January 05, 2022
BHO MAINNET FUNCTION SERIES: WHAT IS "CROSS-CHAIN"?
What you need to know about BHO Mainnet's "Cross-chain" function
January 08, 2022
Hot Wallets vs Cold Wallets, What Is The Better Choice?
Hot wallets vs Cold wallets, Where is the safest place to store tokens? Let's explore the details of these two wallets with BHO Network.
January 12, 2022
TYPES OF CRYPTO WALLETS - PART II: 𝘊𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘙𝘈𝘓𝘐𝘡𝘌𝘋 𝘷𝘴 𝘋𝘌𝘊𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘙𝘈𝘓𝘐𝘡𝘌𝘋?
Know the difference between centralized and decentralized wallets!
January 13, 2022
BHO MAINNET FUNCTION SERIES: WALLET MANAGEMENT
Learn how to manage your wallet on BHO Mainnet!
January 16, 2022
What is Hedge? How to use Hedging strategy in trading
What is Hedget? Let's find detailed information about the Hedget project and HGET Token with BHO Network right here.
January 19, 2022